Introducing: The Dexter Gordon Society (TDGS)
The Dexter Gordon Society, Inc. (TDGS) is a New York-based nonprofit corporation with pre-tax-exemption status founded in 2013. The organization exists to commemorate the life's work and artistic legacy of late American tenor saxophonist, composer, band leader and Academy Award nominated actor, Dexter Keith Gordon (1923-1990). The launch of The Dexter Gordon Society began with the 90th Anniversary of Dexter Gordon's birth (Dex@90) which was celebrated on February 27th, 2013. This was followed by a year-long series of global events including public talks, tribute concerts, panels, film screenings and more. The success of this year-long celebration lead us to repeat the project in 2014 with a similar project entitled, Dex@91.
The Dexter Gordon Society is a 21st century platform for inter-cultural exchange and artistic enrichment that aims to unite fans, scholars, musicians, researchers, educators, professionals and appreciators of Gordon's legacy around the world. As a former resident of the United States, Paris, France and Copenhagen, Denmark, Dexter Gordon's national and international contributions to music will be celebrated annually through an ongoing series of global events, projects, and programs.
Through a combination of live events, presentations, publications, musical releases, and digital media projects, we hope to spread the joy and beauty of Dexter Gordon's legacy for people everywhere to enjoy, while thoroughly educating the public on the rich history of jazz, and other associated forms of African American music, art, and history.
The Dexter Gordon Society relies on public support to cover operating costs as well as ongoing expenses associated with our research projects and other programs. The most ideal forms of contribution are either cash or sponsorship. These funds help us cover the administrative expenses associated with maintaining Dexter Gordon's legacy.
Your donation will help support:
- General Programming
- Historical Research
- Public Events
Other ways to get involved:
- Corporate sponsorships
- Private sponsorships
- Hosting an event
- In-kind donations (equipment, products, services, expertise, information)
- Office/studio space
- Discounted business services (marketing, management, accounting, fundraising)
Through panels, film screenings, exhibitions, festivals, scholarly talks and other humanities events, The Dexter Gordon Society exists to spread awareness and appreciation of Gordon's international contribution to arts and culture. With your support, the society hopes to make available over 20 years of research and archival content organized from Gordon's personal and professional collection. These include hundreds of letters, photographs, research papers, written music scores, and a plethora of unreleased audio and video recordings which we intend to make available to the public through web, mobile, print and digital media, live presentation, and other modern formats.
The Dexter Gordon Society's primary roles are divided into four categories:
- Record Label: Collection, sale, and digital distribution of unreleased Dexter Gordon recordings
- Research Institute: Jazz research, digital archiving, and historical preservation
- Producer and Presenter: Public talks, gatherings, symposia, exhibits and musical events (see arts, media, and humanities program)
- Arts Advisor: Arts management consulting and legacy assistance
Scholarships will include:
- Dexter Gordon Educational Scholarship - for saxophonists
- Dr. Frank A. Gordon Scholarship - for math and science (named for Dexter Gordon's father)
- Samuel A. Browne Scholarship for music education (named for Dexter Gordon's school band director)
Scholarship availability TBA.